How do you boost a utilitarian brand like SurveyMonkey? Most marketers would be thinking about “what it is and what it does.” Functional, pedestrian, and boring. Eli Schwartz thinks bigger with this clever release about — well, about what cell phone users do in the bathroom.
This is genius marketing because it:
- Highlights a skillful use of a survey, using SurveyMonkey’s Audience tool.
- Is an attention grabber with high viral potential.
- It’s relatable and tells a story (one more than a few readers will relate to).
- Is one of very few quality uses of an infographic.
- Made me LOL. And made me think about SurveyMonkey. And made me pass the word!
The execution is great, too, with bright, humorous graphics.
(Disclaimer: I know Eli and spotted this because I follow him on LinkedIn.)